Sunday 12 January 2014

Follow The Yellow Brick Road


A visit to Wat Kiriwong
 

What a slacker I am!  It’s been three whole months since my last confession.  I’m going to give you the run down so pay attention, I shall say this only vonce…

Cool season has hit, mind you the sun is still roasting the bejaysus out of me.  One not so smouldering day I decided to take advantage of the cloud cover and walk up to Wat Kiriwong which is perched up on a hill over the city.  This sparkling gold temple has been calling to me since I moved here, it’s visible from most of the city and on a sunny day it sparkles like the wonderful city of Oz.  I was lured up a winding road, thankful for the break from the heat on my forty minute walk.  
 
First stop was to Nakhon Sawan Tower.  For just 20 baht you can ascend the tower which has a viewing platform on the 10th floor, 32 metres into the sky.  I do love an overhead view, makes me feel tall.  I peered down at the vastness of Nakhon Sawan, seeking out the places with which I’m already familiar and realised how much more of it I need to acquaint myself with.  

Next stop was Wat Kiriwong, the beautiful gold temple that enticed me up the hill.  I approached with care, mindful of gatecrashing any Buddhist ceremonies.  I was met with a man who spoke to me in perfect English, a rarity in NS.  He welcomed me and wished me a good trip to the temple, I immediately felt at ease and went exploring.  I’m not yet educated in Buddhist custom but I found it fascinating to watch people kneel to pray and light candles and incense around the various statues, some seemingly made with gold leaf which billowed in the breeze, very beautiful and peaceful to watch.  

    
Following a good old nose around I descended the hill, much to the bemusement of passers by.  The locals are often intrigued by the Westerners who walk around the city, as if they never knew what their legs were for.  People generally don’t walk here, and they find my usual mode of transport to be rather peculiar.  I guess that would explain the shocking state of the pavements around here.

After the holiday period I caught up with everyone and heard of an available room in a house my colleagues had found.  I snapped it up and within the week I was packing a Tuk Tuk full of my belongings to make the 2 minute trip around the corner to my new abode, a lovely three bedroom house, with hot shower, kitchen and big living room.  It was like moving into a palace in comparison to my bedsit arrangement.  I haven’t had flatmates in a while so I was dubious about sharing again but I was starting to talk to the wall over in my little room so I snapped up the chance to have some company.  So far so good, one flatmate has chocolate posted to her on a regular basis and the other cooks delish Mexican food.  I landed on my feet for sure.  Though, I’m not sure yet what I bring to the table besides sweary Irish colloquialism.

Images: Sinéad Millea.

No comments:

Post a Comment