Friday 27 August 2010

My Pizza Friend

The Big Pizza Date

I'm still working on the scary challenge so watch this space. In the interim an interesting opportunity arose featuring pizza and men. I like pizza. I like men. Easy decision here, invite accepted. It was to the Big Pizza Date, run by mysinglefriend.com at Pizza Express. I got the chance to create my own pizza and meet some new people. A room full of mingling singletons, dough to knead and shape (v therapeutic) & free flowing booze, better than glaring square eyed at Big Brother.


My previous experiences of online dating have been a bit bland. I gave it a rest for a while in favour of actually meeting real live people in real time. So, my expectation of the Big Pizza Date was fairly low but I figured it was worth a whirl for the pizza alone. Turns out the addition of this doughy distraction eased the pressure of the 'dating' part, making it a lot of fun.


We were divided up into groups and shown how to fling the pizza dough about to shape it, without having it land on someone's shoes (nobody likes the taste of leather and laces). We chose our own toppings and off they went into the giant oven while we sipped prosecco. I was a bit jealous of the group in the far corner where a flour fight broke out, the casualties emerging with white dusty faces. However I had to commit to the debate that had ensued at my table as to whether a persons choice of pizza reflected their personality. FYI - I went with mozzerella, olives, artichoke, mushroom, capers & anchovies with a light sprinkle of oregano. I like to think it reflects my creativity and lust for salt.


While the pizzas baked we mingled some more, helped along by the endless supply of bubbly. The characters were as varied as the pizza toppings, from Mr Red Onion & Mushroom to Stuffed Crust Boy, there was a wealth of personalities in that room, including the women. It felt more like making friends than dating. Although I have to admit I was more interested in the pizzas than the men. I did come away with a phone number and set a date with one person. I can’t technically call it a date however unless I’ve switched teams...

I was pleasantly surprised to have had such a nice evening, thanks to a hearty combination of the tasty pizza and the energetic company. And, dating aside, a girl can be sure of one thing, a good pizza will never let you down!

http://www.mysinglefriend.com
http://www.pizzaexpress.com
Image courtesy of pdphoto.org

No comments:

Post a Comment