Wednesday 4 August 2010

Move Over Dr. Hauschka!



Natural Face Products Workshop

Having perused the Bristol Folk House website for inspiration I decided to go 'au naturel' with the Natural Face Products Workshop. I arrived after a stressful Tuesday afternoon to the calming aromas of lavender and rosemary, ahhh that's lovely, that is, headache disappearing. Laid out on the table in the centre of the room were apples, bananas, spinach & mint - among other foodstuffs. I wondered, firstly, if I had walked in on a cooking class and, secondly, why I had not eaten dinner?!!

The workshop was run by Claire Day, a wonderfully serene lady with immaculate skin. Nice one I thought, good sign, (not like when you have your hair done by someone with 'flock of seagulls' hair and you get a bit nervous) I was in good hands here. Claire went on to tell us how the natural ingredients that we all have in our kitchens can make fantastic beauty products, while saving waste. If you have something going off in your fridge, whack it in the blender and slap it on your face for a nice relaxing mask. Hmmm, all I could think of here was the lonely red pepper and half jar of wholegrain mustard I had knocking about in mine - note to self, go shopping.

So we started off with a Honey & Banana Face Mask. Making this reminded me of preparing my nephew's lunch, however this was destined to be slathered all over my face....wait, no, still rather like nephew's lunch. Maybe this is the reason why a baby's skin is so soft! So back to the banana mush, I mean, mask. I had a little try, slapped that bad boy on and waited for youthful skin to emerge. Verdict was that my face certainly felt like it was being treated but that banana was a bugger to get off! Next came the Rose Water Moisturiser. Now, this surprised the hell out of me. It was so simple to make! And there I was, just a few weeks before, queueing up & waiting to part with £16 for a tiny tube of gunk that claimed to restore all sorts of abbreviated nutrients to my skin (science was never my forté). This homemade moisturiser took minutes, was all natural and could be tailored with a few drops of essential oil to whatever you want it to be. I made a marjoram and rosemary face cream and a peppermint foot cream, flippin' lovely.

Added to these products was a Green Honey Mask (which looked rather like a soup recipe I've tried), exfoliating Baking Soda Facial Scrub (so easy I almost let out a little yelp) & Apple & Lavender Facial Toner. With the varying properties of oils & fruits, these products can be altered to make whatever you require, ie spot zapping/cellulite kapowing/dryness busting moisturiser.

After this workshop my fridge will be extra stocked with all sorts of concoctions (just hope they don't get spread on flatmate's toast) while my wallet will be a little fuller, not to mention that emergence of youthful skin, hoorah!

http://www.bella-bees.co.uk
http://www.bristolfolkhouse.co.uk
Image © Sinead Millea

No comments:

Post a Comment