Sunday 14 October 2012

A Fling In One

Disc Golf

 
 
Before you think I've taken leave of my senses and just started making stuff up to blog about, pop 'Disc Golf' into Google and have a slice of 'Itoldyouso'. The modern version of the sport started in the 60s but it's thought that the game was invented as early as the turn of the 20th century. It's now played worldwide and has it's own associations and tournaments. Admittedly my initial reaction was "Disc wha'? You're havin' a laugh!" but, once I digested my own slice of 'Itoldyouso', I decided to give it a whack.
 
I met Matt, the creator of Ashton Court Disc Golf Course, for a round. He explained that Disc Golf was very similar to regular golf except it uses frisbees and baskets. Prompted by my blank expression (I know nowt about golf) he went on to explain that, at each 'hole', you throw a frisbee at a target (a metal frame comprising of a basket with dangly bits of chain that direct the frisbee down into it) and the object of the game is to reach the target in as little throws as possible. Simple right? Wrong, I was utterly useless at it. I had to take a crash course in 'throwing', my instructor was quite encouraging (in other words, a massive liar).
 
A few holes in and I was marginally less dreadful at throwing but was picking up a technique quite useful for a beginner, ie letting go of the frisbee at a more opportune moment so it doesn't fly off and decapitate a pigeon. Along the way I witnessed some proper disc golfers at play and, man, can they throw! At one stage I could even hear the whirring of a frisbee soaring over my head. The more skilled players have collections of discs that are chosen, much like a golfer would choose a club, to reach the target more effectively. Discs can be different weights, depending on speed and control required. I learned that how you hold & angle the disc can manipulate it's direction as they curve in flight. An experienced disc golfer will have their own throwing style and technique for any given situation, including a 'run up' to give the disc added momentum. Mind you, I was still coming to terms with throwing it in the general direction I needed it to go, manipulating the direction is lesson 2 I guess...
 
The course at Ashton Court has been designed to challenge the players with targets hidden within wooded areas and over hills out of view. One target is next to a pond and, having been told that frisbees don't float, I felt the pressure not to land mine in the mucky water, it was cold and I wasn't wearing proper attire for wading. Luckily it landed
just short of the target on terra firma, phew! Many times it landed amongst nettles, in muck, within two feet of where I was standing (particularly shameful) but, gosh darn it, it always ended up in the target. My worst record was roughly 7 throws at one hole. My learned instructor's was 2 and his starting points were further away from the target than mine (to preserve my ego we didn't keep score). I learned that the average number of 'holes in one' are far higher than that of it's club and ball counterpart however I think I'd be happy with a hole in 6 at this stage...oh, and keeping it out of the nettles.
 
So if you're wandering about in Ashton Court and you see a metal frame with chains, it's not a deer feeder, it's a Disc Golf target. Go on, give it a whirl. Did mention that it's free?!
 

1 comment: