Wednesday 8 April 2015

A weekend in ruins

Sukhothai National Park



Following my trip to Bali and Gili Trewangan the rest of 2014 filtered away gracefully.  I bid it farewell with a pot luck Christmas dinner on the porch with the rest of the teachers.  We donned our Santa hats, sang Christmas songs and served roast turkey in the 25 degree heat, and that was cold season.  I’m already nervous of the Irish weather, which I’m due to return to.  I had just enough time to digest the banquet before embarking on a short jaunt to Koh Tao for some much needed rest in the sunshine.  I was beginning to feel the urgency of my looming departure and decided a long weekend was better spent on the beach, despite the back breaking long journey.  A new year was once again rung in by the ocean, whilst floating a lantern that held my hopes for another incredible year ahead.  

Back in Nakhon Sawan the end of term was just around the corner and so was my big goodbye.  I soaked up as much time with the munchkins as I could, and could finally see the fruits of my labour as they excitedly formed sentences.  There were days when my lesson plan went out the window in favour of the conversations that organically flowed through the classroom.  Mind you, these are 5 and 6 year olds so the convos were frequently about Elsa, robots, and sharks.  One of my younger students once told me that he goes to school on a big brown dinosaur with red eyes.  I’m not sure where he parks it, but it might explain the delirious expression on the security guard’s face.


Yet again there was a long weekend to celebrate a Buddhist holiday, so I packed a bag and headed for Sukhothai, north of Thailand.  I’d been wanting to visit for a few months, but typically I keep the closest places til last as they’re “only up the road and I can go anytime”, but this blasé attitude usually results in my missing out on what’s on my doorstep.  Not this time, I headed for the bus station the evening before to check the bus times and returned bright and early the next day only to be told that the next bus was in 90 minutes.  This is a regular occurrence.  With the language barrier it’s difficult to explain the intricacies of any situation so a foreigner simply gets told “mai mee” (don’t have).  This can be frustrating when you’ve heard conflicting information or you can see what it is you want right there.  There may be some valid reason why it isn’t available, but when the person you’re speaking with has limited or no English you simply hear ‘don’t have’.  My advice in this case is to take a seat and wait.  This is one of those situations where the mantra I’ve adopted from Thailand comes in handy, “mai bpen rai”*.  Anyway, I got there and some hours later I was alighting and being shouted at by Tuk Tuk drivers.  I found a Sorngthaew that doesn’t rip off tourists and pretty soon I was bound for my guesthouse.  I chose the new city as I thought it would have the better choices of guesthouse and eateries, being “new”.  The new part of the city seemed quite large and with only two days and a scrambled brain I did not bother venturing further than my street, except to catch the bus to the old city.  The bus between the old and new Sukhothai is a painted wooden trailer containing long benches, like in a Sorngthaew, with a truck front, pretty cool and very cheap.  It stops just outside the park, where you purchase a ticket.  


The last bus back is 5pm and, as I was budgeting, a Tuk Tuk at tourist prices was out of the question so I was already too late to see any of the ruins.  I sauntered around, taking in bike hire prices and breakfast spots and jumped back on my wooden chariot for some dinner.  I found a cosy little restaurant on my street where I ordered steak and red wine and nestled in to read my book.  I was at a pretty riveting plot twist which just kept getting more and more exciting, so I ordered a second glass, and a third glass, until the words blurred and I had to take myself off to bed.  Goodnight Nana…



I woke with a thumping headache, a queasy feeling, and the guilt of threatening to ruin my short trip.  I wasn’t having any of this bad behaviour, I was going to get up and do what I had planned and I was going to learn my bloody lesson (I was using my ‘teacher voice’ on myself here).  I caught the bus to the old city and forced down some toast and coffee, before hiring a bicycle, so pink it looked like it was coughed up by My Little Pony, and headed for the park.  This was where the magic is, the Sukhothai National Park is filled with ancient ruins of temples and pagodas, and for the life of me I can’t differentiate between the two no matter how many people I’ve asked.  I had read on travelfish.org that there are many routes in and out of the park where beautiful views and pagodas can be found.  My crappy sense of direction ensured I only found one outside the park, however not even shite navigation can deter one from happening upon the beautiful ruins inside.  It’s an amateur photographer’s dream.  In fact most of Thailand is, one can photograph all around and appear to be super talented while the landscape and street life scenes do all the work just by being perfectly photogenic.  But I won’t tell anyone if you don’t.  The wind wisping through my hair as I glided along the pathways was a terrific hangover cure and I was myself in no time.




I finished up and handed back my girly pink bike in time to catch the last bus back to the new city.  Regretfully I looked back on the old city with the sun fading down into the horizon and dreamed of what it would be like to see it sink down behind the majestic pagodas.  I wished I had booked a place to stay here, it was closer to the beauty and the cafes had a better choice of fresh juices and ground coffee.  I guess I was being a typical tourist here, wanting western standards but as I’ve mentioned before, when you are eating Thai food all day every day it makes a nice change to have eggs and toast for brekkie whilst on vacation.  Anyway, first world problems.  All in all it was a much needed break after the craziness of Christmas, and ahead of the busy and emotional final term.  So, so, final.



*http://baanajarn.com/living-in-thailand/understanding-mai-bpen-rai/

http://www.travelfish.org/location/thailand/northern_thailand/sukhothai/sukhothai]
Photos: Sinéad Millea.

2 comments:

  1. So many beautiful photos. I hope to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do, it's a wonderful place to visit :)

      Delete